Wednesday, May 2, 2007

To nap or not to nap.

That is the million dollar question in our house these days. And I'm too tired to even write about it in full sentences...there's the tantrums surrounding bedtime, naptime. Jacob's horseness because he screams so much about going to sleep. I tell him his body is tired because at this point I'm thinking he must not know what it means to be tired. He tells me his body is not tired. We fight it out and two hours later he is asleep. Then maybe two hours later he finally wakes up, and there you have four prime hours mid-day that have been lost to this damn nap that I can tell he still needs because the state of the skin around his eyes report to me that he is not rested. He is never rested. Yesterday he was so tired at naptime that he actually slipped and said, "I don't want to sleep!" Yes, thank you. I knew that much, but I have never heard you admit it.

I don't know what to do. It wouldn't have been an issue a year ago or any other time before that because he was so portable. I could put him in the car, the stroller, and he could sleep. I could do anything with him sleeping and it was exhilarating. Yesterday I looked like a fool at the ATM trying to make a deposit with a 3 1/2 year old slung over my shoulder. Ever heard of a drive-up ATM people? And the library, that pisses me off. You can't ever put movies or audio books into the drop slot. I did on Sunday though because I just had to return this movie that was already so late, but I paid for it, a one dollar fee for every movie, etc that you drop in the outdoor slot. As if I don't pay the library enough. When I was there the next day, I shelled out $6.20. I am keeping the library in business by my late fees alone! And then if the library is open, the drop slot is locked. WHY? This pisses me off so much. Is it to punish you? That means that if you just want to return something, you have to take your sleeping child out of the car and schlep him all the way inside, rather than just leave him in the car while you drive by and drop your stuff off. I chalk it up to disgruntled librarians on a power trip.

Anyway, what does this all have to do with homeschooling? I guess that I'm saying if Jacob didn't waste four hours every day on fighting the nap and then sleeping off the fight, we would have more time to start the actual 'homeschooling' that I'm always talking about. Plus I think this is too boring a subject to write about on my normal blog? Who wants to hear about the survival of this little family?

Well, I either already made my point, or I forgot what it was going to be...I'm too tired to remember. Either way, I hope this came out coherent enough.

No comments: